New koala habitat mapping for South East Queensland
The Queensland Government has released new koala habitat mapping for South East Queensland to support implementation of the South East Queensland Koala Conservation Strategy, and amended koala conservation protections within the planning framework. This mapping replaces previous koala assessable development area mapping.
Koala Conservation Plan Map
The Koala Conservation Plan Map is provided for by the Nature Conservation (Koala) Conservation Plan 2017, and establishes maps for:
- Koala Priority Areas - large, connected areas that will focus habitat protection, habitat restoration and threat mitigation to areas that have the highest likelihood of safeguarding koala populations in South East Queensland.
- Koala habitat areas – areas that are subject to protections under the new koala conservation protections in South East Queensland.
- Koala districts map – establishes what requirements of the Nature Conservation (Koala) Conservation Plan 2017 apply to each area of Queensland.
Koala habitat restoration areas
In addition to these maps, the Queensland Government has mapped koala habitat restoration areas which identifies land that could be restored and established as koala habitat. These areas feature low threats or constraints, and high conservation opportunities.
Restoration areas are non-statutory and support policy and investment decisions about environmental offsets and habitat restoration activities.
Accessing the map
Property-scale maps – including new koala habitat areas and Koala Priority Areas – can be accessed by downloading a free vegetation management report on the Queensland Government website.
Koala habitat mapping is also available via the Queensland Globe, an interactive map where users can view a range of spatial layers. To view the new koala habitat mapping:
- Zoom in to the area of interest on the map, or use the search function.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, click Layers. An All Layers panel will appear.
- At the top of the panel, click Add layers.
- Click the down arrow next to Environment to expand that layer.
- Select Koala plan.
- Select the map/s that you want to display (note: select both koala habitat area (core) and koala habitat area (locally refined) to see the areas of koala habitat protected in your area).
GIS-software users can download the relevant data via QSpatial.
Spatial modelling for koalas in South East Queensland
The new koala habitat mapping uses regional ecosystem and high-value regrowth mapping, provided by the Queensland Herbarium.
This new mapping identifies the best quality koala habitat, based on modelling of biophysical measures, suitable vegetation (for food and shelter) and koala occurrence records, and is designed to focus the government’s conservation efforts on areas that have the greatest chance of supporting koala populations. The methodology was endorsed by the Koala Expert Panel.
For further information on the new koala habitat mapping, see Spatial modelling for koalas in South East Queensland and the Koala conservation – mapping fact sheet .
Koala broad-hectare area maps
Identified koala broad-hectare areas are established under the Planning Regulation 2017.
- Oxley Wedge, Brisbane City Council
- Rochedale, Brisbane City Council
- Coomera, Gold Coast City Council
- Ripley Valley, Ipswich City Council
- Kinross Road, Redland City Council
- South East Thornlands, Redland City Council
- Palmview, Sunshine Coast Regional Council
Request to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination
Landholders (or a person acting on the landholder’s behalf) can request to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination on their land, where it can be demonstrated that the koala habitat area mapping on all or part of their land is incorrect.
Please read the guideline for a request to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination, which provides useful information, including who can submit a request, when a request can be made, supporting information that must be provided with request and regional ecosystems considered to be suitable habitat for koalas.
A request must be made by downloading and submitting the request to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination form .
Landholders will be advised of the outcome of their request, and if unsatisfied, can apply for an internal review.
Approved requests to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area
The Koala Conservation Plan Map will be updated at least annually to reflect any changes made to the map of koala habitat areas as a result of approved requests to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination, and to reflect any changes in vegetation overtime. Requests to make, amend or revoke a koala habitat area determination that are approved between scheduled updates to the Koala Conservation Plan Map will be maintained here to ensure access to the most up-to-date koala habitat area mapping is available for viewing.
For more information on a particular approved change to the koala habitat area map, email email@example.com. Please quote the request reference number.
Request Reference No.
Lot on Plan
Date of Decision
Koala Habitat Area Determination Map
|MAR0002||1RP75264||24 April 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 1RP75264|
|MAR0003||53SP162512||9 June 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 53SP162512|
|MAR0004||215RP892770||9 June 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 215RP892770|
|MAR0005||102SP279506||28 July 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 102SP279506|
|MAR0006||9RP204068, 81SP234408 and 82SP234408||3 August 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 9RP204068, 81SP234408 and 82SP234408|
|MAR0007||1SP117840||3 August 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 1SP117840|
|MAR0008||1RP33412||7 August 2020||Map for Lot on Plan 1RP33412|