The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Koala Advisory Council
The Queensland Government appointed the Koala Advisory Council to work collaboratively in developing the draft South East Queensland Koala Conservation Strategy 2019-2024.
The formation of the Council was one of the recommendations of the Koala Expert Panel.
The role of the Koala Advisory Council includes:
- helping deliver the new Koala Conservation Strategy and overseeing its implementation
- evaluating the effectiveness of the Strategy and providing advice to government
- reviewing the government's koala monitoring and evaluation program to ensure targets are met
- ensuring transparency and public reporting on koala programs and changes to habitat
- establishing stakeholder networks
- ensuring the long-term agenda for koala conservation is maintained.
Members of the Council include:
- Mr Mark Townend, former CEO, RSPCA (Chair)
- Associate Professor Jonathan Rhodes, University of Queensland, and Chair of Koala Expert Panel
- Mr Al Mucci, General Manager, Dreamworld, Life Sciences Division
- Ms Kirsty Chessher-Brown, CEO, Urban Development Institute of Australia Queensland
- Dr Rosemary Booth, Director, Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
- Ms Gemma Plesman, Queensland Campaign Manager, The Wilderness Society
- Ms Kristy Gooding, Senior Advisor, Local Government Association of Queensland
- Ms Julie McLellan, Executive Officer, Healthy Land and Water
- Mr Cameron Costello, CEO, Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation
- Ms Marina Vit, Chief Operating Officer, MOSAIC Property Group
- Mr Mick Stephens, CEO, Timber Queensland
- Dr Bill Ellis, Research Fellow, University of Queensland
- Representatives from Queensland Government agencies, including the Department of Environment and Science; Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Industry and Planning; Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships; and the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Endorsed meeting minutes from the Koala Advisory Council.
- Meeting minutes – 5 August 2020
- Meeting minutes – 17 June 2020
- Meeting minutes – 29 April 2020
- Meeting minutes – 15 April 2020
- Meeting minutes – September 2019
- Meeting minutes – July 2019
- Meeting minutes – May 2019
- Meeting minutes – April 2019
- Meeting minutes – March 2019
- Meeting minutes – December 2018
The Koala Advisory Council prepares a Communique after each meeting.