Koala Advisory Council
The Queensland Government appointed the Koala Advisory Council to work collaboratively in developing the draft South East Queensland Koala Conservation Strategy 2019-2024.
The formation of the Council was one of the recommendations of the Koala Expert Panel.
The role of the Koala Advisory Council includes:
- helping deliver the new Koala Conservation Strategy and overseeing its implementation
- evaluating the effectiveness of the Strategy and providing advice to government
- reviewing the government's koala monitoring and evaluation program to ensure targets are met
- ensuring transparency and public reporting on koala programs and changes to habitat
- establishing stakeholder networks
- ensuring the long-term agenda for koala conservation is maintained.
Members of the Council include:
- Mr Mark Townend, former CEO, RSPCA (Chair)
- Associate Professor Jonathan Rhodes, University of Queensland, and Chair of Koala Expert Panel
- Mr Al Mucci, General Manager, Dreamworld, Life Sciences Division
- Ms Kirsty Chessher-Brown, CEO, Urban Development Institute of Australia Queensland
- Dr Rosemary Booth, Director, Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
- Ms Gemma Plesman, Queensland Campaign Manager, The Wilderness Society
- Ms Kristy Gooding, Senior Advisor, Local Government Association of Queensland
- Ms Julie McLellan, Executive Officer, Healthy Land and Water
- Mr Cameron Costello, CEO, Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation
- Ms Marina Vit, Chief Operating Officer, MOSAIC Property Group
- Mr Mick Stephens, CEO, Timber Queensland
- Dr Bill Ellis, Research Fellow, University of Queensland
- Representatives from Queensland Government agencies, including the Department of Environment and Science; Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Industry and Planning; Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships; and the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Endorsed meeting minutes from the Koala Advisory Council.
- Meeting minutes – 5 August 2020
- Meeting minutes – 17 June 2020
- Meeting minutes – 29 April 2020
- Meeting minutes – 15 April 2020
- Meeting minutes – September 2019
- Meeting minutes – July 2019
- Meeting minutes – May 2019
- Meeting minutes – April 2019
- Meeting minutes – March 2019
- Meeting minutes – December 2018
The Koala Advisory Council prepares a Communique after each meeting.