Management of regulated wastes
Under the Environmental Protection Regulation 2019 waste handlers must submit waste tracking information when transporting regulated waste or waste residues. A complete list of trackable regulated wastes can be found in Schedule 11 of the Environmental Protection Regulation 2019.
Waste tracking ensures that waste is transported and managed in a way that helps prevent illegal waste management activities, which may cause environmental harm.
You must hold an environmental authority (EA) under the Environmental Protection Act 1994 if you transport any amount of trackable waste commercially or more than 250kg of trackable regulated waste non-commercially. This allows you to conduct the environmentally relevant activity (ERA) 57 for waste transport and submit prescribed forms for each load.
The facility receiving the waste must also hold an EA and the relevant ERA(s) for storage, recycling, treating or disposing of the waste.
The waste generator, waste transporter and waste receiver all have certain obligations that are set out under the Environmental Protection Regulation 2019 and on the prescribed forms.
The following forms and associated guides explain who needs to track waste in Queensland, how to use the waste tracking system to meet your environmental obligations, penalties that apply and management of specific regulated wastes.
- Approval for a waste tracking system form
- Exemption for transport of trackable waste form
- Application for consignment authorisation form
- Waste transport bulk upload template
- Managing waste tracking in Queensland – overview
- Consignment authorities (interstate/territory movement of wastes)
- Waste tracking overview for generators
- Completing paper waste transport certificates
- Bulked upload data file specification
- Agents agreements
- Seeking an exemption for trackable waste
- Best Practice Environmental Management ERA 53(a) Organic material processing by composting – ESR/2021/5670
- Compliance information for tyre retailers information sheet
- Management of end-of-life tyres guideline—ESR/2020/5452
Clinical and related waste
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- Identifying and managing equipment containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - ESR/2016/1939 (previously EM2348, EM2349 and EM2350)
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)
Available from the library catalogue
The documents referred to on this page are available from the department’s online library catalogue.