Commercial interaction with protected animals

    General information

    If you interact with protected animals in the wild as part of your business, you will need a commercial wildlife licence (wildlife interaction), unless you hold another licence that allows you to interact with the animal.

    Is my activity part of my business?

    The department will consider the following activities to be part of your business if:

    • the activity is marketed as part of your normal business
    • the activity is advertised in any brochure or advertising material and occurs at a scheduled time, even if the activity occurs infrequently
    • clients pay to participate in the activity or
    • your major business is not related to the activity, however, you derive benefit, including public notoriety, for your main business as a result of conducting the activity.

    Your activity will not be considered to be a part of your business if it is opportunistic or random in nature.

    You will not need a commercial wildlife licence (wildlife interaction) if you have another licence or permit that allows you to carry out the activity, including a wildlife exhibitor licence. However, the holder of a wildlife exhibitor licence must submit an interaction plan for the wildlife they intend to engage with and comply with the plan.

    You can also read the legislation online by visiting the Office of Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.

    Pre-lodgement service

    The department offers a service to guide applicants through the assessment process. The service includes meeting with a departmental project manager to discuss the information that must be provided with your application.

    This service can be initiated by contacting Permit and Licence Management or by email at or completing a Pre-design conference application form (DOCX, 183.1KB) . If a meeting is required to discuss your application in more detail, a departmental officer will contact you directly.

    Permits and approvals

    Before you apply for this type of licence, you must have an approved interaction plan. You may choose to complete the interaction plan template or prepare your own plan that considers, at a minimum, all the things in the template and any other material you consider relevant.

    To apply for this type of licence, you need to lodge a completed application form.

    If your application is successful, you will have to comply with your interaction plan. Therefore you should make sure that you don't embellish the extent of your activities or the commitment you make concerning dealing with wildlife conflict arising from your actions.

    Forms and fees

    Please download an application form. Contact Permit and Licence Management or email for assistance.